Wednesday, June 6, 2007

When I Really Knew I Was In Love

Today marks the 1 year anniversary of my girlfriend's release from hospital after she had a seizure.

It was a little before 3:30pm on Sunday, June 4th (2006) when Nicole's brother Matt called my house using Nicole's cell phone. At first, I thought it was just Nicole calling to talk to me, but I would soon find out it was a much more serious matter. She had had a seizure and she was in the hospital. Shock... awe... fear... whatever you could call it, I had it running through me. The conversation with Matt was brief, but I was told I'd be called back later.

Hours passed before the phone rang again. During that time a multitude of thoughts raced in my mind, I didn't know what to do. I couldn't do anything. All I could really do was wait. Soon enough, the phone rang. It was Nicole's mother, along with Nicole.

"Overwhelmed" was the word I used as an excuse for my breakdown. Other than at funerals, this was the first time in my life I truly had never cared; loved, about someone so much that it drove me to tears. Later that night I talked to Nicole from her room at the hospital. I had earlier feared that I'd never get to hear her voice again... she her smile... hug her... kiss her...

By the day's end, I knew I had fallen in love with Nicole.


---
The real reason for the seizure was never given, but one can assume it was trauma-induced. She passed out, and hit her head in the wrong place at the wrong time.

No comments: