Saturday, September 29, 2007

Aphorism I

I recently came across this page and realized I've been creating a number of aphorisms in the past years. Granted I don't remember many of them, but as they come back to me, expect them to be posted here with a blurb explaining it. Let me begin this hopeful blogging idea with an aphorism I came up with about a year ago.


"You can aim to please, but there's always a chance for you to miss."


There are people in this world who do whatever they can to make a first impression or continue to keep the impression upon other people strong. Sometimes that can go completely wrong. One such example that I can think of it is the custom of bowing as a greeting in Japan. Let's say a foreigner comes to Japan with the intent to close a big business deal. Of course, this person's mindset is to impress, persuade and leave Japan with a higher reputation than before he went in. Now this person is ignorant is the bowing custom. They know about the custom, but are unaware of the specifics of it. This is unfortunate for our businessperson, for the overly eager bow offended the Japanese deal maker. The businessperson only has a pink slip to look forward to because you can aim to please, but there's always a chance for you to miss.

No comments: