Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Conservative Side: Guns

This entry starts what I hope to be a multiple part series on political and sociopolitical issues that I claim to be a conservative. Believe it or not, there are a few issues that I am considered a conservative on. I realize I haven't blogged about this, hence the following series:

The Conservative Side


Guns

The Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States states that we the people have the right to bear arms; the righ
t to gun ownership. After watching the Constitution recently get torn by the Bush administration (more on that later) I started looking into what the Constitution is. The Constitution was basically what our country was built on and any law that is signed by any president that defiles the Constitution, that breaks the Constitution, demeans the general philosophy of what this country is supposed to be: free.

And just to clear things up, when I say "free" I mean the right to do whatever you want within the confines of the law. Laws are made to maintain order, but there is a line between maintaining order and controlling the masses. The Constitution is that line.

One of the many major arguing points against allowing the public to own weaponry is the link between domestic violence and gun ownership. Arthur Kellermann did a series of studies which linked higher homicide rates in homes with guns than without guns. My rebuttal to that is, the studies don't focus on gun ownership. They focus on domestic violence and homicide where a gun was present in the home. They don't state that a gun was used in these same cases of homicide and violence.


Reading back I just typed, I realize I'm sounding more like a libertarian and conservative. I won't let that ruin the series though.


No comments: