Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Prognosis: Painful

When I was 13, I always had the strangest feelings. No, not those feelings...

I always had the feeling that my life would end early. Don't ask why, it was one of those random thoughts that pop into your head, and you dwell on it for a while, but brush it off as it sounds ridiculous.

In my case, I didn't really brush these thoughts aside. They would always come back to me and I would think about it. Just think. It would scare me. The thought of death is its worst when you know you're not immortal and there is very little you can do.


I came across this tonight:

Prognosis is poor. Spontaneous remissions occur in < 10% of patients. Renal failure occurs in > 50% of patients within 10 yr; in 20%, end-stage renal disease occurs within 2 yr, despite treatment. The disease is more rapidly progressive in adults than in children. The presence of segmental sclerosis consistently at the glomerular pole where the tubule originates (tip lesion) may portend a more favorable response to corticosteroid therapy. Another variant, in which the capillary walls are wrinkled or collapsed (collapsing glomerulopathy), suggests more severe disease and rapid progression to renal failure.


In essence, I have a 50/50 chance of getting screwed by life within 10 years.

If you're a family member of mine, and you're reading this, look into kidney transplants. Please.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: