Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Renal Wars: Attack of the 'Roids

Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis.

That's what I have. Unfortunately, even though there are causes for this, in my case, there isn't.

Glomerulosclerosis is when the tiny cells in the tissue of the kidneys leak protein. It is treatable. It can be put into remission. However, the damage that has already been done, is done. Unless

The pathology office recommends steroids, which I will begin taking tomorrow, along with Nexium, to offset any ulcers that could form. Now, when I say "steroids", I don't mean the anabolic, nut-shrinking kind. Cortocoseroids (Prednisone) are, thankfully, much different. They will help the kidney tissue stop leaking protein (hopefully). I was also happy to find out these types of 'roids treat asthma (which I've had for some time, but haven't had an attack in YEARS) and allergies (hay fever will be the death of me).

I will also be going to see my nephrologist much more often now. This is to make sure if anything happens during the course of my treatment, he'll know about and be able to do what he needs to do.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: