Friday, January 1, 2010

The Great Decade (Goodbye 2009)

It can still remember the last night of 1999. My mother, father, and brother all waiting to see the ball drop and close out the 90s.

A lot has happened to me over the last 10 years. The deaths of my father, of a number of not-so-distant aunts and uncles, and of my grandfather. I completed, not only elementary school, but also middle school and high school, and as of now I'm waist-deep in college. My mother, brother and sister moved out to Long Island, so in a much lighter sense, I've experienced moving to a new home (okay, one floor down, I know, I know...). I found someone I could love in 2005 and claimed I loved and was able to experience the physical aspects of such a relationship. I loved and lost, but today, I'm being giving the ability to love again, albeit, at a very cautious pace. I've suffered pains, not just of death or of loss, but of a kidney biopsy. I was diagnosed with CKD in 2008 and having the choice to pursue fairly rough treatment or not was - nay, IS, as of 20 years into my life, the most important decision of my life. I can safely say however, that I made the correct choice and am on a road to recovery (as if there was anything noticeably wrong with me). My New Year's Resolution for the year of 2009 was:

"Set up my springboard into true adulthood. Better physical fitness and better cognitive reasoning (thinking before I make rash decisions, or better thinking in general). It's time to grab life by the horns."

I don't think I fulfilled this completely. My weight is under 180, but the amount of exercise I have done waned in the last 6 months. As for reasoning, I think I'm doing well, making my own choices, some against the wishes of others, but I think that's something I'll need 10 years down the road from now.

My New Year's resolution for 2010 is:

"Weigh 160 pounds at least once in 2010."

No more overly philosophical resolutions for me.

One goal at a time for this decade.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: